As a fully accredited, progressive health care organization, Geraldton District Hospital is committed to providing high quality services to residents of Greenstone and surrounding First Nations communities.
With 23 acute care beds, 26 long-term care beds, a 24-hour emergency department and a heliport, Geraldton District Hospital provides an array of services, including clinical nutrition, diagnostic imaging, laboratory, outreach chemotherapy, rehabilitation social work and telemedicine. For more information about Geraldton District Hospital, visit www.geraldtondh.com
Full Time Permanent
Geraldton District Hospital is seeking an enthusiastic, organized and self-motivated individual to deliver social work services to the patients of the Geraldton District Hospital and the residents of the John Owen Evans Residence.
- Provide discharge planning services to the patients in the Acute Care and the Emergency Department and their families
- Crisis intervention counseling to hospital staff, in-patients and their families
- The provision of palliative care coordination for in-patients at end-of-life
- Reviews and monitors the length of stay of acute care patients on a daily basis
- Chairs the Acute Care weekly interdisciplinary discharge planning meeting
- Initiate patient discharge planning according to the Weekly Discharge Planning Meeting and hospital policy
- Coordinates hospital and community resources to ensure timely patient discharge, continuing care on discharge, and the efficient utilization of available resources of the hospital including human, material, finance and beds
- Liaises with and makes appropriate patient referrals to community agencies, as needed, for Acute Care, Long-Term Care and Emergency Departments
- Assists in identifying patients who are alternate level of care (ALC) and initiates placement for these individuals, updates and maintains WTIS entries for all ALC and Chronic Care (LTC) patients.
- Performs Cognitive Assessments (MMSE)
- Facilitates quarterly and annual resident meetings on LTC with the Interdisciplinary Team and files minutes from the meetings in the appropriate binder
- Communicates and works closely with the NW LHIN Community Care Coordinator with respect to long-term care resident placement, as well as the discharge planning and/or placement of acute care patients
- Provides counselling to residents of the John Owen Evans Residence and their families, which includes psychogeriatric and psychosocial assessments and referrals
- Records all counselling and discharge planning activity promptly on patients’ clinical health record, and maintains confidentiality and privacy
- Functions as an integral member of the patient care team, and fosters an interdisciplinary team environment
- Organizes and chairs any interdisciplinary and family case conferences of Acute Care and Long-Term Care
- Chairs the Greenstone Community Palliative Care Team and is responsible for coordination of palliative and end-of-life care and providing support to palliative patients and their families
- Responsible for the development of departmental policies
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor of Social Work degree from an accredited University or presently enrolled in the program
- Eligible for membership in the Ontario College of Certified Social Workers and Social Service Workers and the Canadian Association of Social Workers
- Minimum one year’s working experience in Acute Care hospital
- Experience working with the elderly in a Long-Term Care and Continuing Care setting
- Crisis intervention experience is an asset
- Bilingualism in both official languages is an asset
- Knowledge and understanding of the Indigenous cultures/languages is an asset
HOUSING ASSISTANCE AND RELOCATION ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE
Geraldton District Hospital is committed to workplace diversity and provides accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process.
If you interested in combining a fulfilling lifestyle with a challenging opportunity, please submit your application and resume in confidence, by email, to: