The Huntington Society of Canada (HSC) is a leading Canadian charity dedicated to a world free from Huntington disease (HD). For 47 years, HSC has strived for excellence by providing practical help for families coping with HD, increasing national and international awareness of HD, advocating for public policy change, and investing in innovative Canadian biomedical and clinical research to slow and prevent this disease.
HSC is a unified organization that connects a community of Canadians including the individuals and families affected by the disease, researchers, donors, and advocates to change the reality of living with this progressive neurological disease.
We are a dynamic and supportive team that looks to grow our people, through professional development opportunities. Together, we are part of a well-funded, stable organization that we are also looking to grow, in order to create a better future for those impacted by HD.
The Huntington Society of Canada (HSC) currently has an opportunity for a social worker to take on the role of EASTERN ONTARIO RESOURCE CENTRE DIRECTOR on the national Family Services team. The Eastern Ontario Resource Centre includes regions east of Deep River, Ottawa/Carleton as well as the Kingston and Belleville Regions.
This is a permanent part-time, (25 hours per week) position reporting to the HSC Director of Family Services and Community Development. The office is located in Ottawa and travel is required across the Resource Centre geographical regions.
As a member of the HSC national Family Services team, you will be responsible for facilitating a process whereby people living with Huntington disease (HD), their carers and family members understand and adjust to the changes and losses brought about by HD, and as a result, maximize the quality of their lives. You will work with professionals and volunteers to ensure HSC clients have access to a full continuum of services to meet their unique needs.
The responsibilities of the social worker will include outreach for client and family meetings, education sessions for community services, support group facilitation for people living with HD and their carers, collaboration with the Ottawa HD and Genetics clinics, casual part time staff supervision and advocacy.
- Degree (BSW/MSW) in social work or related field
- Valid registration with the Ontario College of Social Workers (or equivalent)
- 7-10 + years of experience in social work or related field
- Knowledge of provincial and local community services and programs available in alHEastern Ontario
- Ability to work independently and as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Ongoing follow-up with clients (e.g. phone, email, home visits)
- Facilitation of support groups for persons affected by HD and their carers
- Experience with progressive neurodegenerative diseases preferred
- Valid driver's licence with a clean driving abstract and access to reliable transportation
- Clean criminal record and vulnerable sector check
- Valid First Aid and CPR certification
- Proficiency in electronic record keeping and Microsoft Office programs
- Travel and participation in national team meetings (twice per year)
- Attendance at the biannual national conference held in different locations across Canada
- Regional travel within Eastern Ontario as needed
- Bilingualism (French/English) an asset
Qualified applicants are invited to send their resume and cover letter addressed to the Director of Family Services. Applications will be received until the position is filled.
Huntington Society of Canada is an equal opportunity employer and strives to ensure that its hiring process meets the needs of all persons with disabilities. As such, Huntington Society of Canada will provide reasonable accommodation for any applicant, as requested during the hiring process.
More search results
Psychotherapist/ Social Worker
Queen Square FHT
Child Protection Worker
Ministry of Children and Family Development
Dementia Care Partner Counsellor
Alzheimer Society of Durham Region
Developmental Services of Leeds and Grenville
Independent Private Practice RSW (in-person or on…
Layla Care Inc.