POSITION: Social Worker - GOT
DEPARTMENT: Geriatric Outreach Team
STATUS: Temporary Full-Time 18 Month Contract – Non-Union with possibility of extension
SPLIT WORK: 4 days in Geriatric Outreach Services + 1 day in Long-Term Care (On-site)
ONLY Registered Social Workers may apply.
Unionville Home Society (UHS) is a not-for-profit charitable organization located in Unionville that has provided leadership in service to seniors since 1967. UHS and its affiliate corporations operate a long-term care home, seniors’ rental housing, a community center, an adult day program, geriatric outreach services and a life-lease building. The campus of care is a vibrant environment, and our vision is to develop a progressive community where older adults thrive; aged well and live better.
Under the direction of the Manager, Adult Day Program & Geriatric Outreach Services, the clinician performs as a member of a specialized inter-professional Geriatric Outreach Team, using advanced practice skills to provide comprehensive geriatric assessment, consultation and education services. This position requires a combination of in-office and community outreach work.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides in-home specialized geriatric assessment and follows up to referred clients living in the community
- Maintains an awareness of community resources and an ability to refer clients to other specialized services/linking with appropriate community resources
- Identifies and co-designs a plan of care for clients to improve their ability to manage aging in place
- Works in a manner to ensure safety to oneself, clients, colleagues and the work environment
- Advocates for the client and families
- Provides clinical support to Intake and Teletriage for referrals as required
- Participates in Outreach Team conferences and business meetings
- Also assists with Social Work services at Union Villa one day per week and as needed
REQUIRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Completion of a Bachelor's degree of Social Worker from an accredited university
- Registered with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers as a Social Worker in good standing
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working as a Social Worker with 2 years in a geriatric related field
- Experience working in community setting or in-home assessment is an asset
- Advanced knowledge of and expertise in geriatric assessment
- Demonstrates excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and problem-solving skills, with an ability to set priorities and meet deadlines
- Must be able to work effectively, both independently and within a team environment
- Demonstrates ability to understand the needs of seniors with compassion and empathy
- Computer proficiency in Excel and Word
- Excellent writing skills and capacity/knowledge to learn and use virtual platforms like Ontario Telemedicine Network
- Demonstrates awareness and understanding in working with seniors/individuals of different cultures and socioeconomic status
- Ability to transport to client sites
- Ability to adapt to new and uncertain environments within a client home visit
- Excellent problem-solving ability and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrates ability to work collaboratively in an inter-professional team environment, conveying a positive and professional attitude
- Fluency in a second language is an asset
A valid Vulnerable-Sector Police Record Check and a valid 2-step Mantoux (TB) skin Test are all required as part of the recruitment process.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume indicating “Social Worker - GOT” in the subject line to: email@example.com. We appreciate the interest of all applicants however it is our practice to contact ONLY those candidates who are chosen to proceed to the interview and selection process.
Unionville Home Society is committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. UHS provides employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Furthermore, UHS is committed to diversity and welcomes all applications from Indigenous peoples, people with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups, members of racialized groups, women and any others who may contribute to the further diversification of our community. Please advise firstname.lastname@example.org if you require accommodation.
Unionville Home Society is situated upon the traditional territories of the Anishinaabe Peoples and of the Haudenosaunee Peoples. These territories are covered by the Upper Canada Treaties.