CHILD AND FAMILY THERAPIST
Full Time Permanent
Child and Family therapists provide counselling to children/youth up the age of 18, and their families. Therapists address a range of mental health issues, including emotional, behavioural and/or psychiatric symptoms that may be impacting functioning at home, school, socially or in the community. Intervention strategies are determined following a thorough intake and assessment.
Working as a Child and Family Therapist here’s what you will get to do: :
Be part of a growing, dynamic learning focused organization that is family centered and believes in the inherent resilience and strength of children, youth and families.
· Formulate assessment and treatment plans and provide counselling using a range of evidence-based and/or evidence-informed practices, as well as provision of psycho-education as needed.
· Provide DBT to youth age 12-18, and facilitate a DBT skills group training for youth and their caregivers.
· Work within a multi-disciplinary framework with other professionals including, psychologists and psychiatrists. .
- Support our Here to Help phone line on a rotating basis using a brief single session approach.
- Provide consultations to school personnel and give presentations in the community as required.
· Provide case management for clients with multiple and complex needs. This includes: referrals to internal/external programs.
· Provide single-session counselling using a Brief-Solution Focused and/or Narrative Therapy approach.
· Build and maintain effective interactions with colleagues focused on individual, team and agency success.
· Meet scheduled deadlines and program demands, including clinical reports.
· Ensure that the client record is maintained as per agency standards.
· Participate in quality assurance, evaluation and research activities, as required.
Here is what you will need:
· Masters of Social Work or Masters of Counselling Psychology (or equivalent), and registration with an appropriate governing body, and at least 2 years of experience within a children’s mental health setting.
· Experience working with youth struggling with depression, anxiety, strained social relationships, eating disorders, self-injurious behaviour, trauma, psychiatric diagnoses, difficult family dynamics, attentional and learning disabilities.
We are looking for an exceptional individual who has:
· Sound knowledge of evidenced based treatment modalities including but not limited to, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Solution Focused Brief Therapy, Trauma-informed therapy, Attachment-based therapy, Solution Focused Therapy, and with particular knowledge, training and proficiency in Dialectical Behaviour Therapy.
· Knowledge and understanding of child and adolescent development.
· Knowledge of community and agency programs including transitional age youth and adult services.
· Demonstrated sound judgement related to the development of collaborative approaches working with children/youth and their families; including high risk circumstances and safety planning.
· Knowledge of anti-oppressive practices and ability to implement them.· Exceptional interpersonal skills; ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment, exercising professional judgement in conflictual and stressful situations.
· Suicide risk assessment and intervention skills.
· Proven group facilitation skills, preferably utilizing evidence-based practices.
· Advanced written language skills and ability to complete documentation within given timelines.
· Ability to work a flexible schedule, including two evenings/week up to 8:00 p.m., to accommodate the needs of the children/youth and families we serve
· Access to a reliable vehicle and ability to travel to other community-based settings as needed
In order to meet the needs of our Francophone children and families, clinicians that are bilingual are encouraged to apply. The successful candidate will have a valid driver’s license, $2 million vehicle liability insurance and a vulnerable sector screening.
Please email your cover letter and resume to:
Anna Derbis at email@example.com
In keeping with our efforts to represent the diversity of our community, we strongly encourage individuals from diverse groups to apply. York Hills is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive barrier-free recruitment and selection process and we respect, encourage and celebrate the diversity of staff. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. We regret that only those candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.