Family & Child Therapist
There are two full-time permanent and two one-year full-time contract positions available in Pembroke, Ontario. Our agency is located in the heart of the Ottawa Valley, an oasis of environmental natural beauty but, also close proximity to Ottawa, with all the urban benefits that our Nation’s capital offers.
Family and Child Therapists provide evidence informed clinical therapeutic supports and case management to children/youth up to the age of 18, and their families. Therapists address a range of issues, including mental health concerns, emotional, behavioural and/or psychiatric symptoms that may be impacting function at home, school, socially or in the community.
Therapists also work directly with parents to support the strengthening of proactive parenting and establish an understanding of trauma and attachment and the impact these factors may have on the family system. Intervention strategies are determined following the completion of an intake, and thorough family assessment in collaboration with the child/youth and family.
Therapists are also expected to understand the value of brief therapy and provide supports to agency clients through the provision of single session therapy.
Working as a Child and Family Therapist here’s what you will get to do:
• Be part of a growing, dynamic, and learning focused organization that believes in building a healthy community through supporting the mental health of children/youth and their families.
• Complete thorough family assessments and treatment plans, including clinical impressions. Implement treatment goals through a wide range of therapeutic modalities, as well as psychoeducation as needed.
• Provide case management for clients with multiple and complex needs. This includes referrals to internal/external programs and attending meetings with Community Partners.
• Support our brief therapy program using a brief single session approach.
• Provide therapeutic groups and presentations to Phoenix Centre clients, and in the community as required.
• Build and maintain effective interactions with colleagues focused on individual, team, and agency success.
• Participate in quality assurance, evaluation, and research activities, as required.
Benefits: Health & Dental, Life Insurance, Employee Assistance Program and RRSP plan. Generous paid time off including vacation, sick and personal days.
Location: Position is primarily located in our Pembroke Office, though travel throughout the County may be required. In accordance with agency needs, positions may be placed in different office locations.
The Phoenix Centre is strongly committed to a workforce that reflects the diversity of the populations we serve. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals including applicants from all cultures, racialized communities, abilities, diverse sexual and gender identities, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. We encourage you to reflect upon the diversity you would bring to this role within your application.
The Phoenix Centre is committed to building a diverse, inclusive, accessible, and respectful workplace. We believe in a cultivating a selection process and employment environment without discrimination or harassment, that is inclusive and barrier free.
Here is what you will need:
• BSW, MSW, MEd, MA, registration with the appropriate governing body and at least 2 years of experience within a children’s mental health setting.
• An in-depth knowledge of and experience with theories, principles and practices related to mental health.
• An understanding of the risks and benefits of accessing services and living within a rural community.
We are looking for an exceptional individual who has:
• Sound knowledge of evidence-based treatment modalities including but not limited to, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Solution Focused Brief Therapy, Family Systems Therapy, Trauma-informed and Attachment-based therapy. Internal training is provided ongoingly.
• Knowledge and understanding of child and adolescent development and family systems.
• Knowledge of community and agency programs including transitional age youth and adult services.
• Demonstrated sound judgement related to the development of collaborative approaches to working with children/youth and their families, including high risk circumstances and safety planning.
• Ability to demonstrate and work through a lens of sensitivity to diversity related to race, religion, culture, cognitive functioning, poverty, sexual orientation and gender identity, etc.
• Sound knowledge of anti-oppressive practices and ability to implement them in work with children, youth and families.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills and an ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment, exercising professional judgement in conflictual and stressful situations.
• Workshop and group facilitation skills utilizing evidence-based practices.
• Ability to ensure that the client record is maintained as per agency standards.
• Advanced written language skills and ability to complete documentation within given timelines.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including one evening/week up to 7:00 p.m. and one evening/week up to 5:00pm, to accommodate the needs of the children/youth and families we serve.
• Access to a reliable vehicle and ability to travel to other community-based settings as needed.
What we want you to know:
• Salary Scale: BSW - $58,659 to $74,402 per annum, MSW, MEd, MA - $64,828 to $82,228 per annum
• Flexible hours
To apply: Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Website: www.phoenixctr.com Fax: 613-735-2378
We ask applicants to make any accommodation requests for the interview or selection process known in advance and we will arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation for the selection process which will enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Only those candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.