Social Worker, Senior School
Social Worker, Senior School
12 month contract starting late August 2023
One of Canada’s leading gender inclusive IB Schools, founded in 1965, The York School is a place where learning extends beyond the classroom and students are challenged to realize their full potential and discover who they want to be.
In two state-of-the-art campuses in the heart of Toronto, The York School brings together an innovative and progressive employee experience and fosters a caring and inclusive environment.
As a key member of the Student Support Team and the broader Senior School team, the Senior School Social Worker will work with students (Grades 9-12) and their families, with the objective of optimizing their overall wellbeing at school. This role will report to the Associate Head, Wellbeing. With a non-judgmental stance and a comprehensive understanding of the psychosocial needs of adolescents, the Social Worker will support students and families in addressing the social, behavioural, and emotional factors which impact a student's overall school experience.
- Conduct assessments of students’ needs
- Provide individual, group and family counselling as required
- Consultation with students, parents and faculty; provide guidance and assistance in support of the psychosocial health and well-being of students
- Support the enhancement of partnerships with community agencies and outside professionals to ensure optimal support for students and the school community; liaise with community agencies as required
- Provide crisis intervention services
- Develop and facilitate groups for students as required
- Establish a visible and approachable presence in the school through development and implementation of Senior School wellbeing programming
- Work collaboratively with members of the Citizenship and Athletics team to develop innovative wellbeing initiatives
- Participate in the Senior School Advisor Programme both as an Advisor and as a mental health expert resource
- Participate in team meetings and regular planning regarding individual case management and school-wide programs
- Manage and maintain student records and caseload ensuring services are integrated and seamless
- Understand, and practice in accordance with, federal, provincial, and local laws, statutes, and/or policies that relate to students and families; such as, child protection/child abuse, special education, attendance, education rights and privacy
- Participating in The York School events, and contributing to the health and wellbeing within the community
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Masters degree in Social Work (or equivalent) and membership in good standing in relevant regulatory bodies
- Minimum 5 years’ experience, including experience working in an educational and clinical settings with children
- Knowledge of the Social Work and Social Service Work Act, The Child and Family
- Services Act, Education Act, Health Care Consent Act, and Mental Health Act
- Strong understanding of reporting and legislative requirements set by the Children’s Aid Society
- Ability to identify, assess and respond to sensitive and confidential student and community issues
- A team-oriented approach to student wellness and a commitment to promoting a proactive and interactive approach to health and wellbeing
- A strong commitment to student development within the context of an inclusive and accepting community
- A strong understanding of and commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion work
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to respectfully manage high conflict, challenging situations
- Ability to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically and professionally at all times
- Experience in crisis counselling
- Knowledge of community resources
THE YORK SCHOOL'S CORE COMPETENCIES:
- Flexibility & Adaptability
- Breadth of Contribution
- Relationship Focused
- Service Orientation
- Communication & Collaboration Inclusivity
- Integrity & Trust
The York School Campus, Toronto
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY:
Employees at The York School are inquiring, knowledgeable, caring and engaged citizens of the world. Leaders in their field, they are collaborative, open to change and committed to improving lives through education. We are committed to professional development, and provide a competitive compensation and benefit package to our employees.
THE YORK SCHOOL VALUES DIVERSITY:
At The York School, our mission is to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who are engaged citizens of the world. As such, we are an equal opportunity employer and encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We are committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace. The York School will provide support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant’s accessibility needs. If you require accommodation during the interview process, please contact Human Resources by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 416- 926-1325.
HOW TO APPLY:
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply here by submitting their application by May 26, 2023.
We thank all candidates for their applications; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
More search results
Social Worker (MSW)
Social Worker (Masters) | Health Network
Interior Health Authority
SOCIAL WORKER - Reactivation Care Centre
Social Work Administrative Assistant
Social Worker II (Mental Health Services/Transiti…
Michael Garron Hospital