Crisis Intervention Specialist
- Michael Garron Hospital
- Toronto, ON
- J0523-0293 or OUMHP2304
- Job Category
- Social Work
- Job Type
We are the Heart of the East! Michael Garron Hospital (MGH), a division of Toronto East Health Network and a proud member of the East Toronto Health Partners, is an award-winning and vibrant 450-bed community teaching hospital serving one of Canada’s most diverse communities. For more than 90 years, we have delivered high-quality, patient-centred healthcare services to more than 300,000 people in 22 distinct neighbourhoods. Recognized as a leader in workplace wellness and offering a quality work environment focused on learning and development, MGH invests in people to meet their professional goals and to reach their personal best.
It is an exciting time to be joining our team as we have opened our new eight storey Ken and Marilyn Thomson Patient Care Centre, a transformational project that will forever change the hospital and the care it provides to our community in keeping with our strategic vision of Great Care Inspired by Community.
Currently we have an exciting opportunity for an individual who wants to advance their career as a
Crisis Intervention Specialist
The Crisis Intervention Specialist is a member of the Mental Health Services Team, who provides crisis assessment, stabilization, and treatment/follow-up in the Emergency Department for individuals who present in acute distress. The Crisis Intervention Specialist collaborates with staff and physicians from Emergency, Mental Health Services, MCIT and the community to collect relevant information and make suggestions for appropriate care and follow-up.
- Required Masters' Degree in Social Work, Psychology, Occupational Therapy or BScN in Nursing, or other relevant equivalent education.
- Current membership in a regulated health profession in good standing strongly preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years experience in a Mental Health/Psychiatric services environment; 3 years in an Emergency Psychiatric setting preferred.
- Knowledge and experience in applying crisis intervention theory and principles in clinical practice required.
- Demonstrated experience in crisis intervention for high-risk populations, including Children and Adolescents required.
- Excellent knowledge related to addictions, substance use disorders, withdrawal protocols and community resources related to addiction treatment/medicine.
- Demonstrated experience in developing community linkages and liaisons.
- Demonstrated evidence of flexibility and excellent relationships with others in an interdisciplinary team required.
- Demonstrated experience in applying the principles of crisis counselling in clinical practice required.
- Demonstrated excellence in problem solving techniques, conflict resolution, and a willingness to contribution to high performing teams.
- Demonstrated excellence in crisis intervention clinical skills including emergency psychiatric/mental health assessments, risk assessments, and safety plans required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of community resources preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Mental Health Act, Mental Health Reform, Privacy and Consent to Treat Act and issues related to same required.
- Excellent work and attendance record required.
- All employees of Michael Garron Hospital (MGH), a division of Toronto East Health Network (TEHN) [formerly Toronto East General Hospital (TEGH)] agree to work within the legislated practices of the Occupational Health and Safety Act of Ontario.
- All employees of MGH are responsible to contribute to a transparent culture of patient and staff safety by adhering to and abiding by patient and staff safety policies and procedures set by MGH.
- All employees are accountable for protecting the psychological health and safety of themselves and their co-workers through adherence to MGH's policies and practices.
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
If you are ready to join MGH, please visit our Careers page at www.tehn.ca > Careers > Career Opportunities > JOB NUMBER: J0523-0293 to apply to the role
Disclaimer: Please note that we will be reviewing candidates as submitted, and therefore, early applications are encouraged.
Michael Garron Hospital (MGH) champions accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity through the creation of an inclusive and diverse work environment. At Michael Garron Hospital, we strive to be an equitable and inclusive employer. We encourage candidates from Black, First Nations, Métis and Inuit, racialized and LGBTQ2S+ communities, people of colour, women, people with disabilities and individuals who identify with the diverse communities that we serve, to join the MGH team.
Through our values of Compassion, Respect, Integrity, Inclusion and Courage, Michael Garron Hospital is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC). Should you require an accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process, please let us know how we can work with you to meet your needs.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.