Family & Individual Clinical Counsellor
Family & Individual Clinical Counsellor
Location: Corporate Office/Hybrid
Reports to: Director, Support & Educational Services
Status: Permanent Full-Time
The Institute for Advancements in Mental Health (IAM)
Do you enjoy helping others? Are you passionate about mental health? Are you entrepreneurial in nature? The Institute for Advancements in Mental Health (IAM) is seeking a skilled Family and Individual Clinical Counsellor to help grow our services to reach more people in need of help for their mental health.
We created IAM to be agile and flexible in order to respond to the needs of those we serve. Our approach includes designing programs around the needs of people with complex mental health needs and their support circles. This means putting people – not diagnosis or illness – first.
We have a highly engaged team of staff and volunteers here at IAM who are passionate about getting help to people when and where they need it. Now, more than ever, IAM is in a unique position to change how we deliver mental health care. We invite you to be part of our evolving team!
At IAM, our clients come first. Reporting to the Director of Support and Educational Services, the Family and Individual Clinical Counsellor provides in-person, telephone and online counselling and system navigation to individuals, families and other helping professionals seeking support and resources. In addition, you will oversee and facilitate CBT psychoeducational support groups as well as assist in the development of CBT training materials. You work efficiently and demonstrate a commitment to quality while delivering evidence-based psychosocial and culturally sensitive interventions to vulnerable populations, including individuals living with chronic mental illness.
Drawing on your clinical background, you will:
- Provide support, system navigation and clinical intervention to individuals and families experiencing different stages of psychosis and other chronic mental health conditions
- Employ CBT and other psychosocial interventions to obtain commitment to therapeutic engagement, while assessing client readiness and specific needs
- Modify psychosocial approaches, interventions and activities as needed in order to support clients experiencing chronic mental health issues
- Collaborate and partner with other programs and mental health providers to coordinate services for families and caregivers
- Plan and deliver workshops and training to clients and community stakeholders on CBT, psychoeducation and other relevant mental health topics
- Supervise students and volunteers
- Participate in ongoing program development and evaluation
- Contribute to the development and delivery of new programs as required
- Create and maintain client records and files according to IAM policies and procedures and in accordance with the Personal Heath Information Protection Act, 2004 and other relevant legislation
- Prepare statistics and reports as required
- In accordance with professional standards, maintain knowledge, skills and abilities by review of literature and attendance at workshops and seminars
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
What you bring to the role:
- Good standing and registered with a regulatory college in Ontario (e.g., College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers, College of Registered Psychotherapists)
- Master’s Degree in Social Work or a Bachelor of Social Work with a minimum three years’ relevant experience providing counselling, system navigation and support to individuals and families in a community mental health setting, performing client intake/assessments, individual/family/group counselling and delivering psycho-educational workshops
- Experience working with chronic mental illness and substance use disorders
- Competent in delivering evidence-based interventions (CBT, DBT, Motivational Interviewing, Mindfulness) and working from a strength-based and solution-focused perspective. Proof of certain certifications may be requested.
- Demonstrated skill in providing services to a diverse range of clients and families/caregivers
- Excellence in prompt and accurate client record keeping
- Experience in program development, implementation and evaluation
- Excellent knowledge of community resources
- Demonstrated cross-cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Excellent knowledge of and demonstrated experience in the health sector with an understanding of opportunities and challenges in a mental health environment
- Knowledge of a second language an asset
Non-Technical Skills and Attributes
- A strong sense of professionalism and an ability to represent the organization in an external setting
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to problem solve in a team setting
- Demonstrated time management and critical thinking skills
- Excellent organizational skills demonstrated by your ability to prioritize a varied workload; flexibility and adaptability to work
- A collaborative spirit; you’re a team player with a positive attitude
- Strong group facilitation skills
- Skills in crisis intervention and conflict resolution
- Certification in CBT
- Ability to contribute and work in an innovative mental health environment
- Intermediate skills in MS Office/Microsoft 365 required
- Intermediate skills using The Roster of Electronic Assessment Tools (TREAT) (client database) or related electronic health record (EHR) software.
This is a full-time, permanent position with a competitive benefits package. The salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with experience. The role is hybrid, consisting of both remote and in-office work. The successful candidate must be fully vaccinated by the start date.
The Institute for Advancements in Mental Health is committed to equity in employment and actively seeks applicants from diverse backgrounds.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit your resume (Word or pdf format) by January 31, 2023, via e-mail to email@example.com
We thank all applicants in advance, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.