- Ministry of Education
- Belleville, ON
- $1,244.30 - $1,579.87 Per Week
- Job Category
- Social Work
- Job Type
A rewarding career awaits you at the Ministry of Education, Provincial and Demonstration Schools Branch. Currently, we are looking for one (1) Seasonal Social Worker to support the Sir James Whitney School for the Deaf and the Sagonaska Demonstration School in Belleville. The schools for the Deaf and Demonstration schools provide specialized school programs for students who are Deaf and/or Hard of Hearing and for students with Learning Disabilities. Our schools provide a safe place where students, families and staff find support to learn, grow, discover and, ultimately, 'Believe in Themselves'.
Do you want to make a difference in the lives of students who are Deaf and/or Hard of Hearing or students who have Learning Disabilities? Do you have a social work background and experience working with students with multiple exceptionalities? If your background also includes strong counselling and case management skills, this unique all-encompassing opportunity may be of interest to you.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
- Work with students who are Deaf and/or Hard of Hearing or students who may have Learning Disabilities, some with multiple exceptionalities.
- Provide social work services and case management services to the students and their families, including conducting assessments, counselling, and group work.
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary educational and mental health team.
- Provide individual counselling to youth and provide child management skills to parents and schools.
- Liaise with teachers, staff, and other professionals.
How do I qualify?
- Current registration as a Social Worker with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers.
- Fluency in American Sign Language (ASL) to be able to provide appropriate clinical services to Deaf and Hard of Hearing students and their families.
Knowledge and Abilities:
Your background and experience enable you to meet the following requirements:
- Knowledge of theories/practices of professional social work normally acquired through completion of a clinical Master of Social Work degree.
- Knowledge of, and ability to analyse, educational programs, community resources and family support systems and to modify them to meet the needs of the students.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation, ministry and Provincial and Demonstration Schools Branch policies, procedures, and rules of confidentiality.
- Successful experience working with students who are Deaf and/or Hard of Hearing, students with Learning Disabilities and their families.
- Thorough knowledge of child development, social and environmental influences, cultural diversity, family systems and age-appropriate change strategies.
- Ability to use computers and related software to prepare reports and maintain case documentation.
- Demonstrated counselling and case management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills in English, to communicate effectively with parents, colleagues, and professionals.
- Well-developed research and recording skills for documentation.
- Presentation skills to delivery training workshops to parents, staff, and school boards.
Salary Range: $1,244.30 - $1,579.87 Per Week
- 1 Temporary – Seasonal position (September to June recurring), duration up to 10 months, 350 Dundas Street West, Belleville, East Region, Vulnerable Sector Check
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
- OPS Commitment to diversity, inclusion, accessibility, and anti-racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy < https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-public-service-anti-racism-policy > and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint < https://www.ontario.ca/page/ops-inclusion-diversity-blueprint > pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code < http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/ontario-human-rights-code >. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
For full position details, including instructions on how to submit your application, visit www.ontario.ca/careers. Please send your application, quoting Job ID 184073 (PDSB22-134), by Friday, July 8, 2022, to PSBjobs@ontario.ca. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.