Individual And Family Therapist, Community Counselling
The Individual and Family Therapist provide psychotherapy and counselling, as part of a multi-disciplinary team providing evidence informed services to adolescents and their families with a variety of severe social, emotional, and behavioral challenges.
There are 3 permanent full-time positions available.
Strides Toronto is a multi-service agency providing services to young people from birth to age 29 and their families in East Toronto. Formed in January 2020 through the amalgamation of Aisling Discoveries and East Metro Youth Services, Strides Toronto provides a range of community, residential and treatment services to improve the mental, social, and physical health of infants, children, youth and their families. We provide individual, group and family interventions that include mental health counselling, autism services, education, outreach and referral, early intervention, day treatment and community support.
As Lead Agency for infant, child and youth mental health in Toronto, Strides Toronto works with 25 core service providers to design and implement system-level improvements that transform access to services, experience of services and the mental health outcomes for Toronto’s diverse communities.
Strides Toronto has a budget of $30 million and more than 350 employees providing services out of 19 locations across East Toronto. The organization Is accredited by the Centre for Accreditation and the predecessor organizations have a long history of providing high-quality services in East Toronto.
Why work with us?
- Be part of a long history of leadership and evidence informed practice in child, youth and family service.
- Join a skilled and dedicated team who are passionate about achieving our vision of an inclusive and supportive community where children, youth and their families thrive.
- Experience opportunities for growth and professional development.
- Be committed to creating a positive and rewarding work environment.
- Share an organizational culture of on-going learning and quality improvement.
- Bring high standards for performance and implementation of best practices and demonstrated through our accreditation with the Canadian Centre for Accreditation
- Expect a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
- Join a diverse and inclusive work environment with staff who speak more than 23 languages.
What will you do?
- Provide Individual and Family Therapy to youth and their families to improve the client’s overall social and emotional wellbeing and functioning through use of evidence informed practices over a serious of multiple sessions;
- Collaboratively develop and implement treatment plan with adolescents and their families to direct and manage treatment progress;
- Act as service coordinator to ensure relevant stakeholders are engaged in the treatment process and lead collaborative efforts with community partners;
- Communicate and coordinate scheduling of sessions with clients, families and groups;
- Conduct regular individual, family and at times group therapy sessions using evidence informed models of therapy;
- Organize and participate in case conferences and progress meetings with multi-disciplinary team, to evaluate the progress and revise treatment plans as required;
- Supervise Master’s level placement student as opportunities arise;
- Provide single session counselling in the brief service programming;
- Organize and schedule meetings with clients, families and community partners to discuss client information (can be in person, by phone or video call);
- Liaise and share information (with consent) with community partners and members of the clients’ circle of care to coordinate treatment planning and overall client wellbeing;
- Create and follow through with discharge plan for the client, collaborating with third parties in circle of care;
- Make referrals to other services / community partners and support clients through referral process;
- Accompany clients to meetings with other service providers, psychiatrists, etc.;
- Plan for transition out of our programs;
- Create and maintain a detailed and accurate history of client, family, and stakeholder interactions.
What are we looking for?
- Master's degree in Social Work, Counseling Psychology or equivalent.
- Registration in good standing in an appropriate regulatory body that can provide psychotherapy such as OCSWSSW or CRPO.
- 2+ years of clinical experience providing psychotherapy.
- Training in an evidence-based model (e.g. CBT).
- Ability to work within a trauma informed lens.
- Strong clinical skills in assessment, formulation, and treatment with an ability to utilize flexible strategies for engaging and working with adolescents, families and community systems.
- Clear understanding of and commitment to a harm reduction approach.
- Experience working with LGBTQ youth as well as with youth that have addiction issues utilizing a harm reduction approach is an asset.
- Strong communication skills - written, verbal and computer literacy.
- A valid Ontario Driver’s license and use of a vehicle is preferred.
- Completed vulnerable sector screening police background check.
- Fluency in another language(s).
This role is a part of OPSEU Local 567 bargaining unit.
Salary range from $63,934.01 to $ 74,134
It is a requirement of employment that successful applicants be fully vaccinated against COVID 19 or have received an exemption from the organization’s policy prior to the commencement of employment.
Vulnerable Sector police check is also required upon hire.
How to Apply
Please visit Join Our Team - Strides Toronto and select “Current Opportunities” to apply to the position. Submit a cover letter and resume outlining your experience and how you meet the requirements for this position.
The application deadline is February 1, 2022.
Strides Toronto is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Strides Toronto’s own policies, requests for accommodation will be considered throughout the hiring process.
We thank all applicants however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.