Consider Your Next Career with the Ministry of the Solicitor General, Ontario Public Service!
We are currently seeking a qualified Social Worker to provide professional assessment, rehabilitative, and discharge services for inmates at the Elgin-Middlesex Detention Centre. Take on this unique opportunity to showcase your skills and expertise!
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) is one of the largest employers in the province, with a wide range of exciting career opportunities. We believe in the core values of trust, fairness, diversity, excellence, creativity, collaboration, efficiency and responsiveness.
• A defined benefit pension plan
• Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits, which include adoptive parents
• Comprehensive Health Plan
• Life and Disability insurance
• Collegial and professional work culture
• Career growth and development opportunities across multiple business areas
• On-the-job training to support your success in the role
The OPS has been recognized as a top employer. We are proud to have been acknowledged as one of:
• Canada's Top 100 Employers
• Canada's Best Diversity Employers
• Greater Toronto's Top Employers
• Canada's Greenest Employers
• Canada's Top Employers for Young People
What can I expect to do in this role?
• Formulate reintegration/release plans in collaboration with professional and community partners and inmates
• Provide crisis intervention services
• Prepare clinical assessments and statistical reports
• Collaborate on multidisciplinary care plans
• Facilitate group and individual rehabilitative programming
• Provide one-to-one counselling
• Participate in social work research activities and evaluate treatment programs and services
• Provide social work consultation and training to staff
• Perform other duties, as assigned
How do I qualify?
• You are currently registered as a Social Worker in good standing with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW)
Specialized Knowledge and Experience
• You have in-depth knowledge of, and experience with, theories, principles and practices of social work normally acquired through a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) or a Master of Social Work (MSW)
• You are able to develop rehabilitative program/treatment plans as well as conduct individual/group therapy and crisis intervention
• You have knowledge of risk assessment tools and rehabilitative/treatment options in order to recommend appropriate classification placement
• You have knowledge of community support services to assist inmates in formulating reintegration plans
• You have a general understanding of the justice system in Ontario
• You can understand, interpret, and apply relevant legislation such as the Ministry of Correctional Services Act, Social Work and Social Service Work Act, Personal Health Information Protection Act, etc., as well as acquire knowledge of, and apply, operational policies and procedures
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• You can liaise with clients, correctional staff, and community support services
• You can provide individual counselling, evaluation, and assessment services to offenders with complex needs
• You are able to connect and build rapport with a diverse client population with varied cultural, ethnic, and educational backgrounds
• You have experience working within a multi-disciplinary setting, including community agencies
• You have proven tact, discretion and sensitivity to discuss problems/options with offenders and maintain confidentiality
• You have advanced written communication skills to prepare case notes, assessments, and progress and statistical reports
Analytical, Assessment, and Problem-Solving Skills
• You can gather and compile data from multiple sources to identify inmate needs
• You can develop/modify rehabilitative, treatment, and case management plans
• You are able to assess inmates in crisis and apply appropriate therapeutic intervention
• You can manage conflicting priorities, meet deadlines, and maintain adequate records
OPS Commitment to diversity, inclusion, accessibility, and anti-racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy < https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-public-service-anti-racism-policy > and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint < https://www.ontario.ca/page/ops-inclusion-diversity-blueprint > pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code < http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/ontario-human-rights-code >. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
Salary Range: $1,231.98 - $1,564.23 Per Week
- 1 Permanent - Full Time, 711 Exeter Rd, London, West Region, Vulnerable Sector Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases Search, PIP/NICHE/RMS
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
- Effective October 1, 2021, the OPS COVID-19 Safe Workplace Directive requires all Ontario Public Service employees to provide proof they are fully vaccinated, meaning they are fully vaccinated as defined by the Ministry of Health (refer to: COVID-19 Fully Vaccinated Status in Ontario) (https://health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/publichealth/coronavirus/docs/vaccine/COVID-19_fully_vaccinated_status_ontario.pdf), including 14 calendar days have passed since receiving their final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.
Employees who do not provide proof of full vaccination will be deemed ‘not vaccinated' under the Directive and will be required to attend a vaccine education program and undergo regular rapid antigen testing. Employees who are not vaccinated under the policy with a valid medical exemption will not be required to attend a vaccine education program but must undergo regular rapid antigen testing.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 174722, by Tuesday, January 25, 2022. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
More search results
Request for Quote - Registered Psychotherapy Serv…
Hands TheFamilyHelpNetwork.ca/Mains LeReseaudaideauxfamilles.ca
Kinark Child and Family Services
Director, Clinical Services & Health Privacy Offi…
Four Villages Community Health Centre
Social Worker, Financial Empowerment
WoodGreen Community Services
Community Support Worker, Housing Support Program