Support Services Worker
8-12 months contract, Full-time (Maternity Leave)
Reports To: The Executive Director and/or Designate
The Support Services Worker will answer the 1-800 Helpline (non-crisis phone line) and respond to calls from survivors of brain injury, family members, caregivers, and professionals. The 1-800 helpline service provides a listening ear, support, and guidance, which is non-judgmental, empathetic, respectful, and caring. From time to time, the client may need greater support in the form of individual advocacy.
Why should you apply?
" You will possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills combined with a non-judgmental and confidential approach to a variety of situations.
" You have in-depth knowledge of health care and social service systems.
" You would like to work for an organization that is dedicated to supporting, advocating for and improving the quality of life for those living with brain injury.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Respond to calls from individuals with brain injury, family members, caregivers, friends and professionals who are seeking information about brain injury and/or support.
- Listen and provide emotional support regarding the challenges associated with brain injury.
- Through appropriate inquiry, ascertain other issues that the caller may need support with, but is not necessarily what they put forward as the initial purpose of the call.
- Where appropriate, follow-up with clients to see if further support can be given or is needed.
- Support clients in navigating the system to access services and resources including, but not limited to, medical, psychosocial, legal, financial assistance, housing, employment, transportation.
- Linkage to brain injury rehabilitation, brain injury associations, and other support services available
- Provide assistance and advocacy in securing these services, where possible.
- Pro-active follow-up to see if the client has been able to attain services and actively assist if the services have not been attained.
- Build and maintain strong relationships and networks with ABI providers, hospitals and other related agencies, to identify the proper channels and locate sources of support in order to assist individuals and/or family with access to services.
- Bring a neutral voice to the table, working between service providers and individuals and their families, to serve the best interest of the individual with ABI.
- Other duties as assigned
Education: Post-secondary diploma/degree in health or social services or equivalent comprehensive work experience in a related field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Helpline work experience is an asset
- Distress Centre (or similar experience) is an asset
- Great interpersonal skills, enthusiasm, warmth, and ability to empathize
- Knowledge of acquired brain injury, and its effects on individuals, families, and professional systems
- Ability to use tact and professionalism when dealing with callers, clients, and stakeholders
- Strong counselling, mediation, and conflict resolution skills
- Strong work ethic and passion for supporting people with disabilities
- Experience in individual support and advocacy
- An ability to interact effectively with people and organizations that OBIA works with
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Intake work experience is an asset
OBIA is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with the AODA (Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005), OBIA will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection, and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require disability-related accommodations, please inform us. All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their résumé and cover letter to:
Ruth Wilcock, Executive Director
Résumés must be received no later than Thursday, December 2nd, 2021 by 4:00 PM
We thank all applicants for their interest in our organization; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.