Program Overview – Crisis Outreach Service for Seniors, Community Care
This position works on behalf of WoodGreen in an inter-agency, multi-disciplinary Crisis Outreach Service for Seniors (COSS) serving seniors with physical, cognitive, mental health, and other concerns causing them to be in crisis. This service is offered through a partnership between WoodGreen, Haven Toronto, South Riverdale Community Health Centre, Reconnect Community Health Services, and LOFT Community Services with the goal of ensuring a continuum of care for seniors with cognitive, mental health, and substance use issues.
What You Will Do
- Participate in crisis shifts; going out to visit clients in their homes or other community locations with a partner.
- Assess client needs, develop, and implement service plans with short and long-term objectives.
- Provide short-term intensive case management follow up visits to seniors with mental health and substance use issues, including ongoing assessment, supportive counseling, service navigation and care coordination.
- Assist clients to access acute care and emergency services when appropriate, and help facilitate client discharges from local emergency departments.
- Assist with monitoring clients, identifying additional needs, and reactivating supports.
- Assist in liaising with convalescent care, transitional care, acute care, emergency departments, rehabilitation centres, and complex continuing care to ensure that clients who have been hospitalized have appropriate follow-up services.
- Refer clients and caregivers to a range of community resources, including meals, drop-in centres, social recreational programs, clothing exchanges, etc.
- Work with other team members and partner agencies to develop and implement strategies that reduce client/caregiver dependencies on acute care and emergency departments.
What You Bring to the Team
- BSW or related undergraduate degree.
- Registration with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers or a related regulatory body.
- Requires two (2) years of related experience in crisis support, the ability to mediate conflict, and demonstrated experience working with seniors.
- Effective September 7, 2021, all newly hired employees will be required to provide proof that they have completed an approved course of vaccination against COVID-19 at least 14 days prior to commencing employment or provide documentation to support an exemption based on grounds covered by the Ontario Human Rights Act (i.e. Medical exemption).
What Will Set You Apart
- Demonstrated experience in crisis support/intervention.
- Demonstrated experience supporting seniors with mental health and substance use issues from a recovery and harm reduction approach.
- Proven ability in case management and supportive counselling skills.
- Strong assessment skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to carry out service documentation requirements in a timely and professional manner.
- Demonstrated information and referral skills and the ability to link clients to supportive services.
- Self-directed and independent, but also experienced in working effectively as a member of multi-disciplinary team.
- Proven ability to minimize barriers through service delivery for low-income individuals with mental health and substance abuse issues.
- Ability to work from a client-centered approach.
- Knowledge of issues affecting older adults and geriatric populations.
- Knowledge of the health sector, community resources, and related services.
- Demonstrated ability to follow policies, procedures, and adhere to legislation.
- Understanding of clinical practices and care models.
- Ability to exercise good judgment, flexibility, and contribute to the effective functioning of a multi-disciplinary interagency Crisis Service focused on older adults.
- Applied computer skills (MS word, excel, and Internet).
- Ability to use case management software is an asset (Pirouette).
- Ability to communicate in another language is an asset.
- Ability to work flexible hours, weekends, and statutory holidays as required.
More search results
DIRECTOR, COUNSELLING SERVICES
Family Service Thames Valley
Individual and Family Therapist
Lumenus Community Services
Program Officer, Intake and Case Support
Home and Community Care Support Services South West
Disability Consultant (Term)
University of Toronto, Scarborough