- Ministry of the Solicitor General
- Thunder Bay
- $1,143.42 - $1,451.80 per week
- Job Category
- Social Work
- Job Type
Are you motivated to make a difference in the lives of others? If so, consider this challenging opportunity at the Thunder Bay Jail, Ministry of the Solicitor General, where you will provide professional social work services for inmates.
What can I expect to do in this role?
• Formulate discharge plans in full collaboration with professionals and inmates
• Provide crisis intervention services
• Prepare and maintain assessments and statistical reports
• Develop and operate in-house rehabilitative programs and Accredited Core Rehabilitative Programs
• Participate in social work research activities and evaluate treatment programs and services
• Provide social work consultation and training to staff
Location: Thunder Bay
How do I qualify?
• You are currently registered as a Social Worker in good standing with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW)
Specialized Knowledge and Experience
• You have in-depth knowledge of and experience with theories, principles and practices of social work normally acquired through a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) or Master of Social Work (MSW)
• You are able to develop rehabilitative program/treatment plans as well as conduct individual/group therapy and crisis intervention
• You have knowledge of risk assessment tools and rehabilitative/treatment placement options in order to recommend appropriate inmate classification placement
• You have knowledge of community support services to assist inmates in formulating reintegration plans
• You are able to understand and apply relevant legislation (such as the Ministry of Correctional Services Act and Social Work and Social Service Work Act, etc.) as well as operational policies and procedures
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• You can liaise with clients, correctional staff, and community support services
• You are able to engage, motivate, counsel and advocate on behalf of inmates within the institution or community
• You have advanced written communication skills to prepare case notes, assessments, progress and statistical reports
• You can work effectively within a multi-disciplinary setting, including outside agencies
• You have demonstrated tact, discretion and sensitivity as well as ability to maintain strict confidentiality
Analytical, Assessment, and Problem-Solving Skills
• You are able to gather and compile data from multiple sources to identify inmate needs as well as develop/modify rehabilitative, treatment, and case management plans
• You can assess inmates in crisis and apply appropriate therapeutic intervention
Other Essential Skills
• You have organizational skills to manage conflicting priorities, meet deadlines, and maintain adequate records
• You are proficient with computers and related software and database systems to input and retrieve inmate data, prepare reports, and maintain case documentation and statistics
Screening and selection processes will begin after May 15, 2019. However, this job ad will be posted until filled. Please refer to original ad on the OPS Career website to check if we are still accepting applications or if the posting has officially closed. You can check by going to www.ontario.ca/careers and searching for Job ID# 135133.
Salary Range: $1,143.42 - $1,451.80 per week
- 1 Temporary, duration up to 12 months (with possibility of extension), 285 Macdougall St., Thunder Bay, North Region, Vulnerable Sector Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases Search, PIP/NICHE/RMS
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service).
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 135133. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
More search results
Social Worker – Rainbow Valley CHC (Part Time 3 D…
Rainbow Valley Community Health Centre
Counsellor – Violence Against Women Program
Parkdale Queen West Community Health Centre
Belleville and Quinte West Community Health Centre
Child Protection Worker Career Opportunities
BC Public Service Agency