- Ministry of the Solicitor General
- $1,219.78 - $1,548.74 Per Week
- Job Category
- Social Work
- Job Type
Are you motivated to make a difference in the lives of others? If so, consider this challenging opportunity with the Ministry of the Solicitor General, at the South West Detention Centre, where you will provide specialized and professional social work services for female inmates.
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) is one of the largest employers in the province, with a wide range of exciting career opportunities. We believe in the core values of trust, fairness, diversity, excellence, creativity, collaboration, efficiency and responsiveness. We are committed to being an employer of first choice, creating a positive and inclusive work environment. We invite you to join our teams!
• A defined benefit pension plan
• Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits, which include adoptive parents
• Comprehensive Health Plan
• Life and Disability insurance
• Collegial and professional work culture
• Career growth and development opportunities across multiple business areas
• On-the-job training to support your success in the role
The OPS has been recognized as a top employer. We are proud to have been acknowledged as one of:
• Canada's Top 100 Employers
• Canada's Best Diversity Employers
• Greater Toronto's Top Employers
• Canada's Greenest Employers
• Canada's Top Employers for Young People
What can I expect to do in this role?
• Complete bio-psycho-social, suicide, mental health, risk/needs and clinical assessments and reports for the purposes of crisis intervention, counselling, classification, rehabilitative programs, reintegration planning and parole proceedings
• Conduct individual and/or group counselling and case work sessions
• Provide individual and/or group rehabilitative programming
• Plan, develop and deliver rehabilitative treatment programs and intervention strategies to address the social, emotional, criminogenic and/or psychological needs of female inmates
• Explore community resources and facilitate referrals for female inmates re-entering the community
• Perform other duties, as assigned
How do I qualify?
• You are currently registered as a Social Worker in good standing with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers
Specialized Knowledge and Experience
• You have in-depth knowledge of, and experience with, theories, principles and practices of social work normally acquired through a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) or Master of Social Work (MSW)
• You have knowledge of psycho-social rehabilitation/treatment theories, principles and techniques to develop rehabilitative program and treatment plans for female inmates
• You have experience with individual/group therapy and crisis intervention
• You have knowledge of trauma-informed culturally responsive approaches, sexual abuse, addiction recovery, and gender-responsive individual, group, and family practices
• You have knowledge of community support services to assist inmates in formulating reintegration plans
• You have knowledge of relevant legislation (e.g., Social Work and Social Service Work Act, Health Information Protection Act, privacy acts, etc.), and can comply with regulatory requirements
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• You can liaise with female clients, correctional staff, and community support services
• You are able to connect and build rapport with a diverse client population with varied cultural, ethnic, and educational backgrounds, as well as provide individual counselling, evaluation, and assessment services to female inmates with complex needs
• You have experience working within a multi-disciplinary setting, including community agencies
• You have proven tact, discretion and sensitivity to discuss problems/options with female inmates and maintain confidentiality
• You have advanced written communication skills to prepare case notes, assessments, and progress and statistical reports
Analytical, Assessment, and Problem-Solving Skills
• You can gather and compile data from multiple sources to identify female inmates' needs
• You can develop or modify rehabilitative, treatment and case management plans
• You can make recommendations on appropriate classification of inmates
• You can assess female inmates in crisis and apply appropriate therapeutic intervention
• You can evaluate program and treatment effectiveness
• You have planning and organizational skills to manage competing priorities, meet deadlines, and contribute effectively as part of the multi-disciplinary team
Salary Range: $1,219.78 - $1,548.74 Per Week
- 1 Permanent, 4819 8th Concession Rd, RR3, Maidstone, West Region, Vulnerable Sector Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases Search, PIP/NICHE/RMS
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 163818, by Monday, May 17, 2021. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.