Clinical Therapist - Crisis Nland
The Clinical Therapist is an integral part of a busy, dynamic and growing clinical program at Kinark Child and Family Services, Community Based Child and Youth Mental Health program in the Peterborough region. As a member of an interdisciplinary team, the Clinical Therapist will be required to liaise with internal and external collaterals in the provision of clinical services. The Clinical Therapist will be responsible for providing crisis response, short-term stabilization, completing clinical assessments, formulating and developind individualized treatment plans prior to providing individual, family, and/or group therapy to high risk and complex children, youth, and families within an office-based, as well as a community-based setting, as required. The successful candidate will be required to work some evenings per week based on client needs. The Clinical Therapist position is covered by the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 2860.
Duties & Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Respond to calls to the Youth Crisis Line which encompasses Northumberland County.
- Liaise with Four County Crisis to respond to crisis calls for children and youth under 18.
- Provide direct crisis response, stabilization and short-term follow-up.
- Conduct risk assessments and develop safety plans.
- Complete brief assessment and deliver brief therapy
- Complete comprehensive assessments, considering the multiple layers and interacting mental health issues, needs, and disorders, concurrent substance use issues, and medical conditions.
- Complete a comprehensive formulation and treatment plan as a foundation for treatment, with input from collateral sources and multidisciplinary team integrated.
- Utilize commitment strategies to obtain commitment to therapeutic engagement, while assessing client readiness and stage of change.
- Modify treatment activities and approaches as needed in order to comply with changes in clients' status.
- Provide intervention, with clinical outcomes to be achieved through application of evidenced-based practices with ongoing monitoring of impact.
- Focus on the youth’s potential for developing/sustaining pro-social, self-regulation of mental health symptoms, related behaviours (e.g. substance use, conflict management, anger management)
- Self-monitor the completion of progress/contact notes describing each client contact and how that contact relates to treatment goals and adherence to policy
- Collaborate with other members of the treatment team and participate in interagency/team meetings
- A Master’s Degree in Social Work or a Health-Related Discipline with a minimum of 3 years relevant experience is preferred.
- Candidates with a Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work with extensive and relevant experience will also be considered.
- Must be registered and in good standing with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW) as a Social Worker, or the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO).
- Must be eligible and able to perform Psychotherapy as defined under the act.
- A minimum of 3 years relevant experience working in a mental health setting, is preferred.
- Experience in crisis intervention is preferred.
- Excellent clinical assessment, formulation and treatment planning skills is important.
- Training and or experience in Triple P- Positive Parenting program, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and Brief Therapy will be considered assets.
- Experience with providing a broad range of clinical services and demonstrated effective work with a child and adolescent population who present a variety of clinically challenging issues.
- Demonstrated expertise in family therapy, including brief models, and advanced group skills with children and parents are preferred.
- Computer competency and experience working with diverse cultures are considered as assets for this position.
- Travel is required for this position; the successful candidate must have a valid Ontario driver’s license, access to a reliable vehicle and be willing to obtain automobile insurance which includes driving for business purposes with a minimum liability of one million dollars.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check (including a Vulnerable Sector Screening) and Pre-Employment Medical.
- Bilingual English/French candidates will be given special consideration.