- Ministry of the Solicitor General
- $1,219.78 - $1,548.74 Per Week
- Job Category
- Social Work
- Job Type
The Maplehurst Correctional Complex of the Ministry of the Solicitor General is seeking experienced Social Workers to provide social work services to offenders with diverse needs.
If you are a keen professional with a passion for social work and want to make a difference in people's lives, then don't miss this unique opportunity!
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) is one of the largest employers in the province, with a wide range of exciting career opportunities. We believe in the core values of trust, fairness, diversity, excellence, creativity, collaboration, efficiency and responsiveness. We are committed to being an employer of first choice, creating a positive and inclusive work environment. We invite you to join our teams!
The OPS has been recognized as a top employer. We are proud to have been acknowledged as one of:
• Canada's Top 100 Employers
• Canada's Best Diversity Employers
• Greater Toronto's Top Employers
• Canada's Greenest Employers
• Canada's Top Employers for Young People
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• Complete bio-psycho-social, suicide, mental health, risk/needs and clinical assessments and reports for the purposes of crisis intervention, counselling, classification, rehabilitative programs, reintegration planning and parole proceedings
• Conduct individual and/or group counselling and case work sessions
• Provide individual and/or group rehabilitative programming
• Plan, develop and deliver rehabilitative treatment programs and intervention strategies to address the social, emotional, criminogenic and/or psychological needs of offenders
• Explore community resources and facilitate referrals for offenders re-entering the community
• Perform other duties, as assigned
How do I qualify?
• You are currently registered as a Social Worker in good standing with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers
Specialized Knowledge and Experience
• You have in-depth knowledge of, and experience with, theories, principles and practices of social work normally acquired through a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) or a Master of Social Work (MSW)
• You are able to develop rehabilitative program/treatment plans as well as conduct individual/group therapy and crisis intervention
• You have knowledge of risk assessment tools and rehabilitative/treatment options in order to recommend appropriate classification placement
• You have knowledge of community support services to assist inmates in formulating reintegration plans
• You have a general understanding of the justice system in Ontario
• You can understand, interpret, and apply relevant legislation such as the Ministry of Correctional Services Act, Social Work and Social Service Work Act, Personal Health Information Protection Act, etc., as well as acquire knowledge of, and apply, operational policies and procedures
Superior Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• You can liaise with clients, correctional staff, and community support services
• You can provide individual counselling, evaluation, and assessment services to offenders with complex needs
• You are able to connect and build rapport with a diverse client population with varied cultural, ethnic, and educational backgrounds
• You have experience working within a multi-disciplinary setting, including community agencies
• You have proven tact, discretion and sensitivity to discuss problems/options with offenders and maintain confidentiality
• You have advanced written communication skills to prepare case notes, assessments, and progress and statistical reports
Strong Analytical, Assessment, and Problem-Solving Skills
• You can gather and compile data from multiple sources to identify inmate needs
• You can develop/modify rehabilitative, treatment, and case management plans
• You are able to assess inmates in crisis and apply appropriate therapeutic intervention
• You have organizational skills to manage conflicting priorities, meet deadlines, and maintain adequate records
Salary Range: $1,219.78 - $1,548.74 Per Week
- 2 Temporary, duration up to 12 months (with possibility of extension), 661 Martin St, Milton, Central Region, Vulnerable Sector Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases Search, PIP/NICHE/RMS
- 1 Temporary, duration up to 6 months (with possibility of extension), 661 Martin St, Milton, Central Region, Vulnerable Sector Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases Search, PIP/NICHE/RMS
- 1 Temporary, duration up to 18 months (with possibility of extension), 661 Martin St, Milton, Central Region, Vulnerable Sector Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases Search, PIP/NICHE/RMS
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 163034, by Tuesday, May 4, 2021. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.