School Counsellor - Ashbury College
Indefinite Term, fixed 70 – 100% workload
Located in central Ottawa, Ashbury College is a leading independent school for boys and girls, Grades 4 to 12. Benefiting from small class sizes, an inclusive environment, technology-enhanced classrooms, and dynamic teachers, our students are inspired to become intellectually vibrant, compassionate, and responsible international citizens. This includes our emphasis on mental and physical health, by promoting self-confidence, cooperation, and commitment.
We are seeking a School Counsellor to support the wellbeing and mental health of our students.
Reporting to the Director of Student Services, you will work as part of our Wellness Team to support students in developing strategies to develop a positive mindset, self-awareness, resiliency, and social emotional strength and growth.
Specific responsibilities include:
· Create a safe, welcoming, and confidential environment encouraging students and families to seek counselling when needed.
· Offer individual and group counselling to support student well-being.
· Work collaboratively with Junior School, Senior School, and Boarding faculty, staff and administration to develop programs and initiatives that support student well-being.
· Facilitate student group discussions covering a range of social, emotional learning (SEL) and mental health topics and issues.
· Facilitate peer-to-peer support programming.
· Support the delivery of the Healthy Active Living curriculum as it pertains to student mental health, substance use, bullying, and other topics.
· Provide support and crisis intervention for students as needed.
· Provide support and education for faculty and staff to help them improve their understanding of the cultural, societal, or other factors impacting students’ mental health and well-being.
· Communicate regularly with school administration to ensure areas of safety concern are known and develop related policy as required.
· Build and maintain a network of student care professionals and community resources
· Report to the proper authorities in cases of physical, mental, or emotional abuse
· Maintain confidential case records and comply with mandated requirements of the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW).
You hold a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) or Master of Social Work (MSW) plus at least 5 years of experience counselling school-aged children and youth, or equivalent in experience and education, and are a member in good standing with your professional credentialing body. Your ability to interact with students, staff, and parents on highly sensitive issues, applying affective communications skills to provide appropriate advice and guidance, characterizes your professional practice. If you are a compassionate, creative, collaborative, and outcome oriented individual, we would like to hear from you.
The position is effective late August 2021. The workload will be fixed between 70 – 100% based on the applicant’s interest, and students’ needs.
If you are interested in joining the Ashbury College community, please forward your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and quote “School Counsellor” in the subject line. The deadline for applications is Friday, April 23, 2021. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits, including participation in the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan. For more information about our school, please visit www.ashbury.ca
At Asbury College, our mission is to develop students as responsible global citizens. We do this through a community of employees, volunteers, and students who cultivate and celebrate diversity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified individuals because this supports our mission and makes our community stronger.
If we contact you about an employment opportunity and you require an accommodation, we’ll work with you to meet your needs.