Job Title Social Worker (start date: October 12/20, 35 hrs./wk., 10 week contract)
Direct Report Coordinator of Performance Measures and Special Projects
Location All Branches including community outreach/meetings, possible work-from-home
In a manner consistent with the Ajax Public Library’s overall visions and goals, the Social Worker works with Ajax’s vulnerable populations impacted by COVID-19 to address pressing social inclusion or well-being needs caused by COVID-19. With equal consideration of the needs of the English and French communities, the Social Worker collaborates with clients for the delivery of supportive and engaging programs, services, resources and counselling; provides related input regarding library policies, procedures, services, programs, collections and service models; and identifies related partnership and volunteer opportunities for the library to explore.
[The behaviours and skills required to competently perform the job. See Glossary of Core Competencies for a full definition.]
Accountability: Responsibility; Delivers Results; Reliability
Communication Skills: Written; Verbal; Communicates Effectively with Diverse Audiences
Customer Service Focus: Customer Service Experience; Active Listening; Inclusiveness; Feedback; Library Policies and Procedures; Building Relationships
Effective Decision Making: Recognition of Issues/Problems; Analytical Skills; Awareness of Consequence of Action
Initiative: Innovation/Creativity; Initiates Changes to Current Practices
Leadership: Demonstrates Leadership Qualities and Behaviour; Practices Informal Leadership; Coaching Discussions; Delegation; Feedback and Recognition; Motivates Others; Supporting Innovation and Creativity of
Team Work: Collaboration; Creation of Plans; Compromise
Technical and Professional Competence: Attention to detail; Results Oriented; Job Knowledge; Health and Safety; Continuous Development; Understands Utilized Technologies
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Reporting to the Coordinator of Performance Measures and Special Projects, develops and delivers new services, tools, programming and resources to assist Ajax’s vulnerable populations impacted by COVID-19 in addressing a pressing social inclusion or well-being need caused by COVID-19 (i.e, financial wellness, food security, health and hygiene, home care or personal support, information and navigation, mental health and wellness, safety, shelter, transportation, social inclusion, learning, etc.).
- Ensures confidentiality and professionalism are maintained with the utmost respect.
- Considers the needs of the official language minority community in developing project activities and services, and invites this community’s participation in the development and implementation of the project where applicable.
- Conducts initial assessments of vulnerable population clients, works with clients to identify their needs, formulate support plans and resources to assist them in overcoming the challenges of their situation and collaboratively determine how these will be optimally delivered.
- Develops vulnerable population resources to support staff learning and service delivery.
- Monitors and evaluates the performance of project services and activities and prepares reports and statistics as required.
- Proactively identifies opportunities for the Library to partner with town/municipal departments, businesses, government, community and other organizations or community groups to support Ajax’s vulnerable populations impacted by COVID-19.
- Proactively identifies volunteer initiatives to develop programs and services to support the vulnerable populations in the community.
- Identifies opportunities for improvement or enhancement in the library’s policies/ procedures, service models, services, programs and collections of use or interest to vulnerable populations impacted by COVID-19.
- Other project-related duties as assigned.
- Works 70 hours per two-week period, which includes evening and weekend work.
- Working both remotely, online and in-person at any of the three (3) branches of the library.
- Registered Social Worker (BSW or MSW) required.
- Minimum of two (2) years related experience.
- Current member in good standing with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW).
- Valid Criminal Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening (within the past year).
- Experience counselling and assessing the needs of clients of all ages from a wide variety of cultural, economic, social, mental health and educational backgrounds.
- Proven ability to build and maintain sensitive and complex relationships with clients.
- Knowledge of trends in the delivery of services to vulnerable populations.
- Proficient computer skills, including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and online video conferencing software.
- Demonstrated knowledge of community development practices and outcome measurements.
- Current awareness of Ajax, Durham Region and GTA community resources, familiarity with the labour market as well as apprenticeship and training resources.
- Excellent leadership and organizational skills, with the ability to deal co-operatively and effectively with internal and external customers, volunteers, community organizations and other key stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication, and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated ability to balance priorities and meet deadlines in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- French fluency is an asset.
More search results
Ministry of The Solicitor General
Child Protection Worker
Jewish Family and Child Service
Clinical Social Worker, MSW, for Counselling/Psyc…
Therapy Heals Psychotherapy and Counselling Services
Professional Practice Leader, Social Work - Acade…
North York General Hospital