Community Addictions Liaison to the Emergency Department Counsellors- Two (2) Full-time positions available
ADAPT head office in Oakville (165 Cross Avenue), with ability to travel across Mississauga Halton and Central West Local Health Integration Networks including hospitals.
Friday to Tuesday – days and evenings
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Liaising with health care professional teams in the Emergency Departments at Trillium Health Partners (M-site) or Halton Healthcare Services (Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital).
- Consultation, assessment and case management for patients/clients and families with a recent presentations to the Emergency Department
- Creating and implementing care plans
- Providing screening, assessment, case management, and transition to culturally appropriate community support services
- Assessment, counselling, and referral for patients with a concurrent disorder.
- Data collection and reporting.
- Clear and consistent documentation on client’s health record.
- Attendance at staff and other community/hospital meetings as required.
- Collaboration with both community partners and hospital staff.
- Supporting quality improvement initiatives.
- Community outreach and advocacy in the field of addictions/concurrent disorders where appropriate and required.
- Master's Degree in Social Work preferred (or equivalent) or a Mental Health Registered Practical Nurse
- Minimum three years’ experience in case management and counselling to those with substance abuse.
- Demonstrated skill in working with families of those who have addiction problems.
- Demonstrated skill in addiction assessment and treatment.
- Demonstrated skill and knowledge about concurrent disorders.
- Demonstrated comfort working within both abstinence-based and harm-reduction models.
- Demonstrated experience working in multidisciplinary teams, under pressure and within a fast paced changing environment such as an emergency room.
- Demonstrated understanding of diverse cultures. Fluency in other languages is an asset.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and or facilitating groups for those with drug/alcohol problems.
- Experience in motivational interviewing and trauma-informed counselling.
- Ability to work independently.
- Computer skills essential, and particularly the ability to work in Microsoft Outlook and Word.
- Excellent attendance, punctuality and work record.
OTHER REQUIRED CERTIFICATES, TRAINING & KNOWLEDGE:
- First Aid/CPR.
- Satisfactory Police Clearance (Vulnerable Sector).
- Valid Ontario Driver’s License, good driving record and current liability insurance, in accordance with requirements of organization policy.
- Must be a member in good standing with a recognized regulatory college: College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario, or the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers.
- All “foundational” and “basic” `Core Competencies’ for substance abuse professionals commensurate with role (*or engaged in a training/development plan to acquire same).
ADAPT is a respectful, caring and inclusive workplace committed to Employment Equity. We welcome diversity in the workplace, and encourage applications from all qualified individuals including members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities. We will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. Applicants need to make their accommodation needs known when contacted.