Manager, Social Work
Manager, Social Work
Do you have a passion for Social Work and making an impact on the lives of others? Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your leadership skills? If so, then consider this unique opportunity as Manager, Social Work at the Elgin Middlesex Detention Centre to develop, plan, implement, administer and evaluate a diversified social work, rehabilitation and classification program.
The Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation and benefits package, including:
• A defined benefit pension plan
• Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits
• A comprehensive health and dental plan
• Life and disability insurance
• A progressive work environment that promotes work/life balance
• Flexible learning and development opportunities, including online, training and mentorship programs
• Opportunities for career advancement and specialization through a wide range of career fields
The Ontario Public Service has been chosen as one of:
• Canada's Top 100 Employers
• Greater Toronto's Top 90 Employers
• Canada's Best Diversity Employers
• Canada's Greenest Employers
• Top Employers for Canadians Under 40
What can I expect to do in this role?
• Ensure proper assessment, evaluation, classification, and documentation of those admitted and discharged ensuring appropriate documentation
• Provide professional direction to staff
• Manage human resources, including recruitment, performance management, training and development, and manage issues
• Liaise between the institution and various community agencies/groups such as Police Departments, Ontario Parole Boards and other branches of the Criminal Justice System, and treatment/psychiatric facilities
• Identify individual needs, matching identified needs to specific programs/services or making appropriate referrals to community agencies as part of the discharge planning process
• Participate with Senior Management to review, develop and formulate institutional policies, goals and objectives as they relate to social work and rehabilitative programs/services
How do I qualify?
• You are currently registered as a Social Worker in good standing with the College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers of Ontario
Specialized Knowledge and Experience
• You have demonstrated expertise in current social work and rehabilitation theories as they relate to crisis intervention, classification and counselling/treatment
• You are able to assess client behavior/needs/mental disorders as well as progress and recommend changes
• You have an understanding of gender responsive and anti-oppressive practices and approaches to meet the needs of the geographic representation of clients
• You have knowledge of professionally acceptable counseling techniques
• You have knowledge of and experience with current rehabilitative theories and techniques
• You are able to apply your expertise in social work within a correctional environment working with inmates
• You are able to interpret and apply relevant legislation, regulations, and policies to ensure compliance (such as the Ministry of Correctional Services Act, Ontario Human Rights Act, Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, Mental Health Act, Social Work and Social Service Work Act, Public Service of Ontario Act, Criminal Code, Ontario Human Rights Code, applicable Collective Agreements, Occupational Health & Safety Act, Workers Safety and Insurance Board Act, etc.)
Management and Supervisory Skills
• You have expertise in project management principles and methodologies to manage the delivery of plans, initiatives and goals
• You are able to support a values based inclusive team through technical, administrative and operational direction to staff
• You have financial skills in order to provide control and monitor an allocated budget
Excellent Oral and Written Communication Skills
• You can liaise with facilities, staff, and various community agencies and committees
• You can demonstrated tact and diplomacy
Analytical and Problem-Solving Skills
• You can develop and plan social work, rehabilitative, and classification programs to meet institutional needs and objectives within the confines of existing financial and staff resources
• You have demonstrated good judgement in order to assess and evaluate existing programs and determining the need for new and revised programs
Salary Range: $68,671 - $98,950 per year
- 1 Permanent, 711 Exeter Rd, London, West Region, Enhanced – Criminal Record (CPIC) Check, Vulnerable Service Sector (VSS) check, Intelligence Check, Local Police Record Check, Credit Check
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Please refer to the Additional Information / Address section above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), HR Service Delivery Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional screening checks as indicated in the Additional Information / Address section above that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening/Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service.)
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 120926, by Thursday, March 22, 2018. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.