Dementia Care Partner Counsellor
DEMENTIA CARE PARTNER COUNSELLOR
Status: Full time
Dept: Family Support
The Alzheimer Society of Durham Region is a registered nonprofit, charitable organization that provides support services and education to those living with Alzheimer’s disease or a related dementia, their care partners, families and others living in Durham Region.
The Alzheimer Society of Durham Region (“ASDR”) has been selected as a partner site for the delivery of specialized programs developed at the The Cyril and Dorothy, Jill and Joel Reitman Centre for Alzheimer's Support and Training at Sinai Health System (“the Reitman Centre”). The Reitman Centre programs have been designed to specifically address the complex needs and challenges of informal care partners taking care of persons with dementia at home. This extensive suite of programs will assist in sustaining family care partners who are clients of Alzheimer Society of Durham Region. The programs deliver unique, targeted and tailored skill-building interventions to address the complex mix of factors that affect care partners’ ability to cope and adapt to the new role of a care partner. The program combines therapeutic principles for managing care partner stress and burden with novel approaches to education and skills training and formal problem solving techniques. The goal is to equip care partners to better manage the day-to-day care of the person living with dementia and to address emotional stress and to reduce levels of care partner burden.
The Dementia Care Partner Counsellor will lead the Reitman Centre program at the ASDR site and work clinically, primarily with care partners of persons living with dementia, in triaging, evaluating, conducting group and individual sessions. Clinical work with persons living with dementia may also be required. Working in conjunction with the ASDR Family & Public Education Support teams, the role will include outreach to recruit care partners to the program and build networks with local and regional programs that work with care partners of persons living with dementia.
Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates client-centred care for care partners of persons living with dementia, in group and individual therapy
- Leads innovative training programs for family and/or professional caregivers of the elderly
- Administers standardized mental health assessment instruments as part of outcome evaluation
- Communicates and collaborates with the local team and network of other Reitman Centre dementia care partner counsellors in the province to provide continuity of care in all settings
- Conducts global assessment of functioning for the geriatric client
- Participates in the creation, evaluation and publication of patient and educator resources
- Contributes positively to patient care through the application of research- based practice
- Organizes leads and implements care partner mental health community education programs
- Develops and implements strategies and tools for dissemination of the Reitman Centre interventions in traditional and non-traditional community settings
- Identifies community resources for the clinical population served
- Develops leads and implements programs including community outreach and liaison
- Works with other local and regional dementia and care partner organizations to develop synergies and build capacity
- Consistently attends mentorship and/or supervision meetings with other Reitman Centre dementia care partner counsellors in the province
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in social work, nursing, occupational therapy, psychology, or related clinical discipline
- Current membership in good standing with regulatory college that can perform the controlled act of psychotherapy
- 2 years recent clinical experience in dementia programs and/or dementia care partner programs
- Experience and demonstrated skills in individual and group adult and older adult psychotherapy
- Experience with management of behavioural disturbances in dementia
Other Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Excellent communication skills - written and verbal communication
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, oral (presentation) skills required
- Experience utilizing technology and internet based counselling interventions
- Experience conducting arts-based or other media-based groups (e.g. music) for persons with dementia an asset
- Experience working in simulation based health care is an asset
- French or other second language fluency, an asset
- Demonstrated ability to work and communicate collaboratively and effectively in a complex environment, with both internal and external stakeholders and partners.
- Results oriented, with a positive “can do” attitude.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced multi-tasking environment
- Well-developed analytical, problem-solving, change management and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and within a team
- Expertise and experience in cultural sensitivity and diversity
- Demonstrated satisfactory work performance and attendance history
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required to meet the demands of the program and the Agency.
Must have insured vehicle and be able to travel throughout Durham Region
No special physical demands are required beyond the performance of general office duties
The successful candidate will be required to provide a clear, recent police check inclusive of a vulnerable persons check, conducted within the last two months.
Candidates must be available for interviews the week of February 12 – 19, 2018
Please submit your application to email@example.com quoting Dementia Care Counsellor in the subject title, no later than 4:00 p.m. on Monday, February 12th, 2018
Salary expectations must be submitted along with a letter of application
No phone calls please. We thank you for your interest in applying to the Alzheimer Society of Durham Region; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Alzheimer Society welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
More search results
Full-Time Social Worker / Psychotherapist
Chinese Family Services of Ontario
Catholic Children’s Aid Society of Toronto (CCAS)
PSSP POSTING #13 - PERMANENT POSITION 1.00 F.T.E.…
Limestone District School Board
Counsellor / Therapist
University of Guelph
Mental Health Lead
York Region District School Board