The Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services, Maplehurst Correctional Complex, seeks an experienced Social Worker to provide professional social work services to inmates. If you are an outstanding professional with a passion for helping others, don't miss this exciting opportunity.
The ministry offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation package, including:
• A defined benefit package plan
• Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits
• A comprehensive health and dental plan
• Life and disability insurance
• A progressive work environment that promotes work/life balance
• Flexible learning and developmental opportunities, including online, training and mentorship programs
• Opportunities for career advancement and specialization through a wide range of career fields
The Ontario Public Service has been chosen as one of:
• Canada's Top 100 Employers
• Greater Toronto's Top 90 Employers
• Canada's Best Diversity Employers
• Canada's Greenest Employers
• Top Employers for Canadians Under 40
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• Formulate discharge plans in full collaboration with professionals and inmates
• Provide crisis intervention services
• Prepare and maintain assessments and statistical reports
• Develop and operate in-house rehabilitative programs and Accredited Core Rehabilitative programs
• Participate in social work research activities
• Evaluate treatment programs and services
• Provide social work consultation and training to staff
How do I qualify?
• You are currently registered as a Social Worker in good standing with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW)
Specialized Knowledge and Experience
• You have in-depth knowledge of and practical experience in the theories, principles and practices of social work, normally acquired through a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) or Master of Social Work (MSW)
• You have knowledge of risk assessment tools, rehabilitative and treatment placement options in order to recommend appropriate inmate classification placement
• You have knowledge of community support services to assist inmates in formulating reintegration plans
• You can develop rehabilitative program and treatment plans, and conduct individual and group therapy and crisis intervention
• You can interpret and apply relevant legislation (e.g., Ministry of Correctional Services Act, Social Work and Social Service Work Act), as well as operational policies and procedures
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• You can liaise with clients, correctional staff and community support services professionals
• You can engage, motivate, counsel and advocate on behalf of inmates, and exercise tact, discretion and sensitivity when working with inmates
• You have strong writing skills to prepare case notes, assessments, progress and statistical reports
• You can work effectively within a multi-disciplinary setting
Analytical, Assessment, and Problem-Solving Skills
• You can gather and compile data from multiple sources to identify inmate needs
• You can develop or modify rehabilitative, treatment and case management plans
• You can assess inmates in crisis and apply appropriate therapeutic intervention
Organizational and Computer Skills
• You can manage conflicting priorities, meet deadlines and maintain adequate records
• You are proficient with computer software and database systems to input and retrieve inmate data, prepare reports, and maintain case documentation and statistics
Salary Range: $1,143.42 - $1,451.80 per week
- 1 Permanent, 661 Martin St, Milton, Central Region, Enhanced – Criminal Record (CPIC) Check, Fingerprint-based Criminal Record (CPIC) check, Vulnerable Service Sector Check
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Please refer to the Additional Information / Address section above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), HR Service Delivery Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional screening checks as indicated in the Additional Information / Address section above that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening/Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service.)
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 123084, by Tuesday, May 8, 2018. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.