- Position Title: Social Worker - Care Manager / Care Coordinator (full-time)
- Available: May 1, 2018
- Applicant Deadline: Monday, April 9, 2018
The Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine (CCNM) will be launching a new Integrative Cancer Centre in May 2018, and is looking for a Social Worker to join the team as a Care Manager/Care Coordinator. The CCNM Integrative Cancer Centre will focus on treating patients wanting to incorporate whole-person complementary and integrative care into their conventional treatments. The Integrative Cancer Centre is part of the CCNM, a registered charity and Canada's premier institute for education and research in naturopathic medicine. As a distinct clinic, the Integrative Cancer Centre will provide a work environment characterized by a small team working to provide excellent support to medical practitioners and patients.
We are seeking an experienced Social Worker to serve as an integral member of the Integrative Cancer Centre. Reporting directly to the Director, and working with the Centre’s healthcare team, the incumbent will support the Centre’s patient base by participating in the care and enhancing the quality of life of patients living with or looking to prevent primary cancer or its recurrence.
The successful candidate will support the CCNM Integrative Cancer Centre by being the first contact for patients and to help manage their care options. This position will promote effective communication between patients, practitioners, operational and research staff through ongoing and active dialogue. The position will support patients in navigating integrative care and managing health concerns. Other responsibilities include documenting aspects of the therapeutic processes in the patient’s medical record, performing needs assessments, discussing treatment progress with members of the interdisciplinary team, educating the patient and family members to reinforce treatment programs, and assisting patients with referrals to outside resources as needed. As a member of the Integrative Cancer Centre’s health care team, he/she must participate in team building and work collaboratively through team meetings, quality education, inter-referrals, and shared medical records. This position will also be involved in collaborative interdisciplinary research and projects as required.
The Integrative Cancer Centre hours of operation are Mondays 12:00 pm to 8:00 pm and Tuesday to Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Experience working as a Social Worker or a Social Service Worker
- Current registration with the College of Social Workers and Social Service Worker of Ontario
- Experience with direct care of cancer patients or in palliative care/end of life counselling an asset
- Understanding, including first-hand experience, of complementary medicine and/or naturopathic medicine is required
- Familiarity with Provincial and Federal legislature policies governing the Naturopathic profession in Ontario including Personal Health Information Protection Act and PIPEDA
- Familiarity working with MS Office and EMR applications an asset
- Ability to communicate effectively – both orally and in writing
- Must be flexible, discrete, diplomatic, tactful, and compassionate
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to interact effectively with co-workers and patients alike
- Effective negotiation and conflict management skills to deal with a wide variety of practitioner and patient needs and situations
- Ability to exercise professional judgment in a highly confidential environment
- Demonstrate high level of empathy and emotional intelligence
Benefits of joining the integrated health team at the ICC:
- Be at the cutting-edge of evidence-based integrative cancer care and education.
- Work in a multidisciplinary integrative team environment with experience with oncology-focused practices.
- Impact the next generation of NDs by working side-by-side with senior CCNM students enrolled in its new integrative oncology residency program.
- Collaborate with CCNM’s Ottawa Integrative Cancer Centre (OICC) on the delivery of the best integrative cancer care in Canada.
Located at CCNM’s Toronto campus, the Integrative Cancer Centre is conveniently located and accessible by TTC public transit, or via Highway 401.
To Apply: Submit your resume with a covering letter to:
- Human Resources Department
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 416-498-3177
- Website: www.ccnm.edu
On the covering letter, please indicate the title of the position(s) that you are applying for and where you saw this job advertisement. We thank all applicants in advance and advise that only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to providing persons with disabilities equal opportunities regarding all employment activities, including access to jobs and accommodations during employment as required, in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Please advise the Human Resources department if you require accommodation.