Social Worker, Medical & Surgical Department
Your goal in this position is to provide client-centred psychosocial assessments of the emotional, physical, cognitive and social needs of referred patients and their families on the Medical and Surgical Units. You will assist patients and their families in developing and enhancing coping skills related to the social and emotional needs and problems that may accompany or predate illness/disability and hospitalization. You will refer patients to wide variety of community services, including retirement /long term care rehab facilities and complex continuing care. In this role, you have great interpersonal skills, and you effortlessly connect with physicians, staff, patients, and families. This position supports the hospital’s academic mandate by advancing care through teaching and learning and/or transforming care through research and innovation. This position contributes to the shared responsibility of ensuring health and safety policies are followed to provide for a healthy environment for patients, staff, physicians, volunteers and families.
On a practical level, you will:
- Support and adhere to North York General Hospital and Social Work policies and procedures
- Perform all aspects of Social Work practice in accordance with professional Standards as set out by the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers
- Perform Social Work duties as required to meet the needs of the patient/client population
- Participate in program planning, implementation and evaluation
- Participate in the development and maintenance of effective linkages with Hospital and community service providers. E.g. School Boards, the Courts.
- Participate in the education of staff, students and the community
- Provide client-centred assessments of emotional, physical, cognitive and social needs and capabilities of the patients and their families
- Prepare a treatment plan to meet the needs and problems identified in the psychosocial assessment with cooperation of multidisciplinary team
- As appropriate, formulate a discharge plan with patient, family, and health care team utilizing appropriate community resources; recognizing and giving consideration to current needs, strengths, and limitations of patient, family, and resources as they may have developed/changed during the patient’s stay
- Facilitate comprehensive discharge planning with patient, family and health care team utilizing appropriate community resources
- Maintain excellent knowledge of and close liaison with hospital & community resources, i.e., Community Care Access Centre, Social Assistance, Ontario Disability program, Drug Programs, etc.
- Advocate for the patient/family and community to ensure the patients’ rights are recognized and appropriate services are created/provided
- Provide consultative social work services to members of treatment team, hospital staff, and community
- Participate in MSW student supervision
- Master of Social Work or equivalent
- Membership in good standing or eligibility for membership in the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers or equivalent
- Discharge planning experience
- Minimum of 1 year experience as a staff Social Worker in Acute care
- Medicine & Surgical experience, preferred
How to Apply
Think you’re the right person for the job? Here’s your first chance to show us why:
- Please join our talent community by creating a profile on nygh.on.ca/careers and applying to the open vacancy
- Ensure your contact information and the title of the position to which you are applying is accurate
- We will review all completed applications and will contact those selected for an interview
We are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities, and are committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.