A rewarding opportunity awaits you at the Ministry of Education, Provincial and Demonstration Schools Branch. Currently we are looking for one (1) part-time Social Worker to support the Amethyst Demonstration School in London. The Demonstration Schools provide a specialized residential school program for students with severe learning disabilities whose educational needs cannot be adequately met in their local boards. Our Schools provide a safe place where students, families and staff find support to learn, grow, discover and ultimately, 'Believe in Themselves'.
Do you want to make a difference in the lives of students with severe learning disabilities? Do you have a social work background and experience working with learning disabled students? If your background also includes strong counselling and case management skills, this unique all-encompassing opportunity may be of interest to you.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• Work with students who have severe learning disabilities and with their families.
• Work as part of a multi-disciplinary educational and mental health team.
• Provide social worker and case management services to students and their families, including conducting assessments, counselling and group work.
How do I qualify?
Knowledge and Skills:
Your background and experience enable you to meet the following requirements:
• Knowledge of theories/practices of professional social work normally acquired through completion of a clinical Masters degree in Social Work;
• current registration as a social worker with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers;
• successful experience working with students with learning disabilities and with their families;
• thorough knowledge of child development, social and environmental influences, cultural diversity, family systems and age-appropriate change strategies;
• excellent communication/interpersonal/organizational skills; and
• demonstrated counselling/case management skills.
Salary: $1,160.57 - $1,473.58 per week
- 1 Temporary - Part-Time, duration up to 10 months (September to June, recurring – 18.13 hours per week), 1515 Cheapside St, London, West Region, Enhanced - Vulnerable Services Sector Screening Requirement
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Please refer to the Additional Information / Address section above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), HR Service Delivery Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional screening checks as indicated in the Additional Information / Address section above that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening/Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service.)
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please forward your resume and cover letter (maximum 5 pages combined), quoting Job ID 112220 (PSB17-114), by Monday, October 2, 2017, to PSBjobs@ontario.ca. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.