Vanier Centre for Women seeks experienced Social Workers to provide professional social work services in the assessment, treatment and community re-integration of female inmates using a women-focused approach.
If you are an outstanding professional with a passion for helping others, don't miss this exciting opportunity.
The Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation package, including:
• A defined benefit pension plan
• Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits
• A comprehensive health and dental plan
• Life and disability insurance
• A progressive work environment that promotes work/life balance
• Flexible learning and developmental opportunities, including online, training and mentorship programs
• Opportunities for career advancement and specialization
The Ontario Public Service has been chosen as one of:
• Canada's Top 100 Employers
• Greater Toronto's Top 90 Employers
• Canada's Best Diversity Employers
• Canada's Greenest Employers
• Top Employers for Canadians Under 40
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• Provide woman-sensitive individual and group counselling and making appropriate referrals as needed
• Formulate discharge plans in full collaboration with professionals and inmates
• Provide crisis intervention services
• Prepare and maintain assessments and statistical reports
• Provide rehabilitative programing and counselling
• Evaluate treatment programs and services
• Provide social work consultation and training to staff
How do I qualify?
• You are currently registered as a Social Worker in good standing with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers
Specialized Knowledge and Experience
• You have in-depth knowledge of and practical experience in the theories, principles and practices of social work, normally acquired through a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) or Master of Social Work (MSW)
• You can prepare clinical assessments and discharge planning, and you can participate in the development, implementation, revision and evaluation of institutional programming
• You have knowledge of sexual abuse and addiction recovery
• You can provide woman-sensitive individual, group and/or family intervention, and crisis counselling
• You have knowledge of community support resources and organizations to co-ordinate services for inmates
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• You can develop cooperative, professional relationships with staff and inmates
• You can prepare and present clinical information, reports and discharge plans in a clear and concise manner
• You can advocate for gender responsive practices, policies, services, placements and programs
• You can discuss problems and options with female inmates in crisis
• You have strong writing skills to prepare case notes, assessments, progress and statistical reports
Analytical and Problem-Solving Skills
• You are able to identify female offender needs as well as develop or modify treatment plans
• You can evaluate and make recommendations on program effectiveness
• You are able to interpret and apply relevant legislation, policies, and directives
Salary Range: $1,143.42 to $1,451.80
- 1 Permanent, 655 Martin St, Milton, Central Region, Enhanced – Criminal Record (CPIC) Check, Fingerprint-based Criminal Record (CPIC) check, Vulnerable Service Sector Check
- 1 Temporary, duration up to 6 months (with possibility of extension), 655 Martin St, Milton, Central Region, Enhanced – Criminal Record (CPIC) Check, Fingerprint-based Criminal Record (CPIC) check, Vulnerable Service Sector Check
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Please refer to the Additional Information / Address section above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), HR Service Delivery Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional screening checks as indicated in the Additional Information / Address section above that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening/Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service.)
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 110230, by Friday, July 28, 2017. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.